In order to make an informed decision on your Algarve property purchase, it is essential to obtain a building survey which will detail the standard and quality of build, as well as faults and defects in the construction.
This will avoid unpleasant and possibly expensive surprises after purchase.
The survey includes an inspection and full written report including:
• A structural appraisal of the building.
• Faults and defects in the non-structural components of the building.
• Description of the accommodation and analysis of built areas.
This is important to assist a lawyer to identify any planning illegalities within the property, as lawyers typically will not inspect properties themselves.
Under Portuguese law the owner of a property is responsible for any illegal parts of the structure, even though those works were carried out by previous owners. Many homes in Portugal have planning illegalities and this is an increasingly significant issue when deciding whether to purchase a property.
• Damp survey. Portuguese homes do not routinely incorporate damp proofing to the same standard as UK homes and damp is a common issue. Where damp is found the survey report will include advice on remedial measures.
• An appraisal of the services (many homes in Portugal are not connected to mains electricity, water or drainage).
• Required maintenance works.
• A detailed description of the construction methodology.
• Advice on remedial works for defects and likely cost of repair.
• An insurance reinstatement valuation.
• Any matters specifically requiring examination by the client.
Please don't hesitate to contact us for more information about our services.
Why use a Chartered Surveyor for you property in the Algarve?
Valuations and construction in Portugal is very different to Northern Europe. Employing a RICS certified surveyor will allow you to gain a report upon which you can base your decision to purchase or not purchase.
Why use a Rics surveyor Algarve, as that is a UK entity?
"RICS is the world's leading professional body for qualifications and standards in land, property and construction. As people, governments, banks and commercial organisations continue to demand more assurance of certified standards and ethics, attaining RICS status is the recognised mark of property professionalism". Quote from www.rics.org
How do I choose a RICS Surveyor in Portugal?
The most important step is to choose a chartered surveyor who handles the marketing of properties like yours, in your area. When you have found one, check the RICS website to ensure they are fully qualified.